|THE HISTORY OF EDUCATION IN SOUTHERN SARPY COUNTY|
On September 30, 1958, residents living in thirteen rural Class 1 school districts in Sarpy County, Nebraska, voted affirmatively (by a margin of 6 to 1, and with a 70% turnout) to merge into a single Class III school district.
On April 2, 1959, the patrons of this new school district then passed a $890,000 bond issue (with 85% support) to buy land and build a new junior/senior high school. The new school district is now known as South Sarpy School District No. 46, and the new junior/senior high school was, and continues to be known as, Platteview.
South Sarpy School District No. 46 encompasses approximately 93 square miles within Sarpy County’s overall territorial 241 square miles, and is populated by 6,987 people according to the most recent 2000 census. The official school district enrollment, as of the fall of 2008, stands at 1050 students.
In terms of facilities, Springfield Elementary School was built in 1964 with an addition built in 1977. Westmont Elementary School was built in 1978, and Platteview Central Junior High School was built in 1980. At the high school, a band room was added in 1969, the north section of classrooms and library was added in 1973, a small gymnasium was added in 1977, a vocational education area was added in 1991.
In 2004 a dramatic $6.5 million addition was completed. This project included an additional 1,400-seat gymnasium, a 600-seat auditorium, a new vocational education wing, a new band room, and a new weight room facility along with a new student commons area. South Sarpy is proud of its facilities and continues to work hard in terms of annual renovation and maintenance.
Unfortunately, in 2000, we needed to close one of our three elementary buildings, LaPlatte Elementary School, due to low enrollment, dramatic cuts in state aid, and newly adopted state mandated levy and expenditure limitations. This site is located at the eastern end of the district, and it served the students in that area extremely well for many years. The facility is now leased to Peru State College by the school district for post secondary education classes.
From the very beginning, South Sarpy School District No. 46 has had the pleasure of serving our students in an exemplary manner. We pride ourselves in consistently providing the very best in curricular programs and traditional educational experiences. We have been on the leading edge of technology in our classrooms since the early 1990’s, and our students are consistently exposed to many outstanding extra-curricular activities in both fine arts and athletics.
Our students over the years have excelled in all of these areas and take pride in the accomplishments they make everyday. We cordially invite you visit our school district and to get a first-hand look at the level of excellence we provide for our students. Feel free to contact our schools at your convenience, and we’d be happy to share with you one of the finest public educational systems in the area.